For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Sunday, December 28, 2008

I knew it....

Yesterday when I left to go shopping, I just knew when I got home the "taking down of Christmas decorations" in this house would have begun. You see, I am a "why don't we keep it up until the New Year" kind of gal. Jay is "it's the day after Christmas, why do we need this clutter" kind of guy. So, after almost 18 years of marriage why do I continually hope that one year I will actually head out and go shopping and return home to find our outside decorations still intact? Not sure, because they NEVER are. And this year, my hubby did not veer far from his predictable path.

So, after moping around, I get started on the other stuff. Look on the bright side, some people have to do it all, at least I get some help. Early help, but help none the less.

Tonight I was starting to gather things up and place them all in the kitchen and as I was doing so my sweet little Katie started saying "it isn't fair we have to say goodbye to Christmas". Awwwwww! I know! She is so right. It's not fair! We have to wait a long time til next Christmas.

I know Christmas is a stressful time of the year, but I do love it. First of all there is the obvious reason of it being the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Saviour. Second, I LOVE the clutter, uh, I mean decorations, that fill this house. I love the lights, the pretty snow village and yes, even the Griswald front yard. I love the giving of gifts and having family here for the holiday.

But, because I am the mom, I am trying to be the big girl here and explain to her why we say bye to Christmas and help her look forward to other days between now and next Christmas. I started by asking her what she loved about Christmas. She said "you get to open presents (she's only six, what did I expect?) and that it was Jesus' birthday (whew, we ARE at least doing a decent job teaching that!). I explained to her that even though Christmas is about the day Jesus was born and I love celebrating it, I also love celebrating HER birthday. Because after Jesus' birth, the most important birthdays I celeberate are hers, Jayson's and Hunter's.
We will have presents and family on those days too. And if we don't say goodbye to Christmas, then we can't move on to celebrate the OTHER important birthdays. And, let's not forget, next week is DADDY'S birthday.

So, I pat myself on the back for doing a good job explaining it all to her and she comes in a few minutes later and says "Mom, can we put up Valentine's day decorations tomorrow?"

Hmmmmm, did I miss something?

1 comment:

KC said...

I am on the opposite end that you mentioned. My husband will put away the decorations if I ask him to, but generally it's just me. BUT- I put them away New Years Day. It just makes more sense to me, b/c I'm tired after all that hoopla leading up to Christmas, so I take advantage of the restful days afterwards.
It does make me sad to put it away every year though. Something I did last year, was write a "Christmas Letter" to our family and put it in the box. It said "Dear Harris Family, IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN!! This year, don't forget to buy more wrapping paper, and the lights for the house are no longer working either. Buy new ones. Have a Merry Christmas season and celebrate all the wonderful things God's done for you this year!"
It was neat seeing that this year when we took them out.

Blog Archive