In this house we are learning a lesson on submission. I say we, because as Jay and I try to teach Jayson, I find myself learning a thing or 2 myself. Funny how that always happens to me.
Jayson loves to play football. He has played for 4 years now. Well, this week his coach basically told the boys "cut your hair or you can't play". OUCH!
Jayson's hair is how he defines himself. He prides himself on his hair. He likes himself with his hair the way it is and I have to say that I like it too! Check out his picture in my December blogs to see just how handsome he is! So to have someone tell him he must cut his hair is a really hard request for him to swallow. You see, I have never once told him to cut his hair. I figure, he's this totally awesome kid and if he chooses to wear his hair like this, then that is one choice at 12 years old that I can allow him to make. But, the coaches are making the decision for the athletes that will be playing on their teams and to cut or not to cut is a symbol of respect for their authority.
I completely understand Jayson's NOT wanting to cut his hair. Today I was the one who sat in Bible Study telling my fellow Disciplees (is that a word?) that I myself struggle with the "musts" that come along with being a Christian example. Why must I always be the one who has to say "I'm sorry" or why must I always be the one to take the higher ground? Sometimes I just don't really want to! It's rough to make good choices all the time, sometimes it's even painful!
However, as Tammy (my dear teacher) explained: I do have the right to say no....Jesus had the right to say no to the cross, but sometimes we just have to give up our rights and do the right thing! That Tammy is such a great teacher.
So, as the Discipler of my child, I must help him to learn that if he wants to continue to play the sport he loves, he will have to respect the authority over him and cut his hair. He will have to choose to do the right thing. And, yes, it will strip him of his right to wear long hair and it will strip him of his pride. But IS that a bad thing? Probably NOT.
My prayer for him is that he can quickly see (as I often do) that making a good choice or the right decision is always blessed in the days to follow! Maybe with a touchdown??????
| Blog: |
| Hatfield Happenings |
Topics: |
For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
Just a few of my favorite things
- Spending time with my family
- Kisses and Hugs from my kids
- Snuggling with my hubby
- Christmas
- Singing out loud in the car
- Reading a good book
- Hanging out with friends
- Seeing new places
- PIZZA
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- November (8)
- December (8)
- January (4)
- February (5)
- March (3)
- April (5)
- May (4)
- June (4)
- July (5)
- August (3)
- September (9)
- October (5)
- November (9)
- December (9)
- January (5)
- February (1)
- March (3)
- April (6)
- May (2)
- June (4)
- July (1)
- August (2)
- January (1)
- February (1)
- March (1)
- April (2)
- May (1)
- June (1)
- July (2)
1 comment:
Having grown up in a rural town with a "hair code" as well as "dress code" in school, it's hard for me to be completely sympathetic to the kids today who believe their hair or clothing "define" them. Yeah, they are part of personality expression, but what defines you is your inner character, not the outward appearance. Jayson, darlin', hair will grow back. That's the cool thing about it. It grows. Defiance of authority due to pride, well, it takes a bit longer for that to recover and grow. I pray for you and your precious Mom in this area!
Love you,
Lori
Post a Comment