Through the help of my discipleship group, we worked through my difficulty and I realized....I felt like a hypocrite praying over family when my relationships with my extended family are often less than perfect.
But, I was reminded by my dear friends (thank God for my discipleship ladies!) that you do NOT have to be perfect to pray!
I thought I would share here what I finally came up with (warning, I DID find the words, lots of them) :-)
When I was asked to pray over family tonight, I was honored. Besides my personal relationship with Jesus Christ, my family is my biggest blessing. I am still amazed that God has granted me the privilege to be wife to Jay and mother to Jayson, Hunter and Katie. It is a job I take very seriously and I can’t think of anything more powerful that I can do for them than pray.
I don’t kid myself into thinking that the reason why my family unit is so strong is due to mine and Jay’s hard work. I know the reason why our family continues to thrive is because we place Christ right in the center. In this day of high divorce rates, financial burdens, misplaced values and day to day lies from Satan, it is only through prayer that I feel I can keep my family (especially my children) safe and grounded. Oh, I know we will still face trials, that’s a given, but knowing that when the trials come that my family rests peacefully in the hand of Jesus, brings comfort beyond measure. I also know and find comfort in the fact that my husband and I are united in seeking God’s will first in each decision we make regarding our family. Jay and I share the same belief and faith and we both draw our strength from our relationships with our Heavenly Father first and foremost.
Jesus stated in Mark 3:25
If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
Together, Jay and I are teaching our children that unity in our family is a unity in faith and that what we will face, we will face together with God on our side. We will search His Word and prayerfully consider what He is saying to us. Jay and I want to model to our kids that long lasting marriages (good marriages) must invite God into the marriage from the day the vows are exchanged. And, it is also through prayer and God’s Word do we find the wisdom, compassion and unconditional love that we (two IMPERFECT people) need to allow these children to see just a glimpse of what God’s love for them is like.
As families all over this world face different hardships, it is my honor and privilege to pray for them:
Father God,
It is with praise that I stand before you tonight and lift up this prayer. I praise you for the gift of family that you give to us.
Lord tonight, as we all come here together to pray for families I ask that you would open hearts all over this world so that they may seek You first and know your wonderful and perfect plan for family.
I pray that families would seek to have a church family that can help them grow in their relationships with you and with each other. Often it is our church family that is the first to step in when we are hurting, the first to congratulate us on a happy moment and the first to hold us to a level of accountability for our actions. Lord, help us to see that the deeper we get rooted in our relationship with you and fellow Christians, the better our family relationships will become.
I ask Lord that you would also use Christian families to reach out to other families. Sometimes it is just by welcoming someone into our home or providing someone with a meal that others can see the wonders that only you can orchestrate through us.
Our father, wherever there may be discord among families, I pray that you would have your hand upon those situations. I pray for the restoration of parent/child relationships or sibling relationships. The pain that is inflicted by those we love is often the hardest to forgive. But father, you have set the example of forgiveness and it is through you that we learn how to forgive. I pray for open hearts tonight, hearts that would be open to the thought of forgiveness.
Lord, I pray that we as a nation would be able to open our eyes to the sin that takes place around us and around our families on a daily basis. Our minds are bombarded with so many lies or half truths that it is difficult and exhausting at times to fight the battle. I pray for families to take a stand for their morals and values so that there would be change brought about in this world for the good and for your glory.
And finally Lord, I pray that families all over this world would return to the biblical mandate stating that we as parents are to train our children in YOUR way and not to simply be bystanders in their maturation. We must not leave our children to be taught by others, it is our responsibility to lay the foundation for our children’s eternity. I pray for parents to see clearly what is happening in the life of their child and to have open communication that would be driven by Your Word. Communication that would ultimately lead their children to salvation and growth in their Christian walk.
Heavenly father, I again thank you for MY family, because it is through them that I see your love for me daily.
In Jesus’ Holy Name,
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment