For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mothers....working or not

Okay, so far I have refrained from anything political posted out here on the web. I do that because I have friends and family of all different thoughts/viewpoints and political affiliations. So, here's the warning: if you don't want to know my view, please don't read further. It is not my intent to offend anyone. However, I must make a few comments regarding the VP candidate, Sarah Palin.

As a stay at home mom, I have always thought that the fight between stay at home moms and working moms is just ridiculous. Everyone has to do what they think is right for their family.
So, when I watch the news and I hear a FEMALE reporter asking a panel of mothers if they think the Governor's daughter is pregnant because Mrs. Palin has been working so hard on her political career it makes me very angry on so many different levels.

First, why start that age old fight about working mothers vs. stay at home moms? Aren't we all moms trying to do the best we can for our family? Then, I have to wonder, would this have been asked if it were her husband running for office? Or would they have asked the same question if one of Obama's children turned up pregnant (I know they are too young, but speaking hypothetically here). Would they say something like this: "do you think his daughter ended up pregnant because he was too busy persuing his political career?" Uh, I don't think so. Case in point, did anyone blame VP Cheney when it was made known his daughter was gay? Hmmmm?

We live in a world where women need to stick together and the fact that a woman reporter asked this question just struck the wrong chord in me. And, even though I am sure she didn't hear me, I did ask 2 questions to the TV that day (well, screamed them, but no one was around). 1) Do YOU have children?
2) Most importantly, are they teens?

You see, throwing stones at a person before you have had a chance to walk in their shoes is a big mistake. We must be careful to say "my child will never...." because more than likely, my child will. And pitting mothers against each other is not the answer. We should be there to support each other and help each other through difficult times so when OUR difficult time as a mother rolls around, someone is there for us. Believe me, we all get a time when our child is doing something we wish they weren't.

I think we should spend our time praying for Sarah Palin and her family. Especially her daughter who is about to have her life change forever. The impact on having a baby so young will be with her for the rest of her life.

But one thing is for certain, God does not create mistakes. His plans for this baby are already formed and whether his/her grandmother is working or not, VP of the US or not, does not matter. What matters is that this child of God is going to be born and given a purpose in life.

I am proud of Sarah Palin for standing behind her daughter. She could have done the unthinkable to try to hide the pregnancy to better her chances of winning this election, but she didn't. And I don't think a decision to encourage a teen at a point like this in her life is a decision that is better made by a stay at home mom or a working mom. It is best made by a mom who loves her child! And isn't that what we all are?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Amen, sister. Scott and I talked about it the other night when someone asked if she had ever "talked" to her daughter about birth control. We agreed that teens are beings of their own and may listen to their parents on some things, but usually think they "know" what is best for themselves. No matter who they are or where they've come from.

Kristy said...

Teens are a species all to themselves! lol :P

Anonymous said...

I think that the GOP is trying to use Bristol and her upcoming delivery, and I am worried that the Palins are letting them. Don't worry Kristy, that's the most negative thing I'm going to say...

I would have been really angry at the news correspondent too. Peace is hard enough to keep without people going around trying to pick a fight. Is anyone going around asking people if Todd Palin made a mistake? He is a stay at home Dad -- raising the kids is his calling. Did anyone snoop around George and Laura Bush when one of the twins got busted for underaged drinking?

Blog Archive