For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spiritual gifts

Have you ever investigated what your spiritual gifts might be? We have a class for this at Grace called Class 301. In a nutshell, it helps people zero in where they should be serving the Lord and where they should serve in our church. I have taken several spiritual gift inventories over the years and I know what my gifts are and I certainly know what they are NOT.

One place where I do not have "the gift" is in the area of Evangelism. And do you know when I see my lack of luster in that area? Every single, dog-gone time my son shows me how evangelism is really done. He gets it. It just HAS to be his gift. This child keeps on telling people about Jesus, bringing them to church and somehow leading them right to the altar of salvation. Now, I am embarrassed to say it, but in my life I have knowingly led 2 people to Christ and they were JAYSON and Hunter. He was already there, I just prayed the prayer with him and Hunter decided she wanted in on this salvation thing too.

Today Jayson came home and told me he invited this child to youth group. And you know how he told me? He said "Mom, I know you are going to be mad but I invited -----(insert name) to Youth Group". WHOA, hold up a minute. First, why did he think I would be mad? And second, why does he even think this kid will even come?

I think I can answer my own questions. One, Jayson knows I do not have any desire for him to hang with this certain child. Guilt by association rings loud in my ears. What if this kid drags him down? What if....what if.....what if.....???? Oh yes, I have made it clear, stay out of that crowd son!

Question two.....Jayson didn't THINK this kid would come, he HOPED he would come and maybe turn himself around WOW! My kid rocks!

So, I really had to apologize to Jayson (AGAIN) this evening and tell him how proud I was of him for caring about this child's salvation. I told him that I admired him for doing the one thing that I struggle with so much.....evangelizing to the lost. I told him that this child is welcome in our home on youth group nights and that I will be praying for this boy too.

Why does it always take my children to teach me a lesson? I am sitting here now thinking of Jesus going among the lepers, the prostitutes, the tax collectors. I think about how I would want Jayson to stay away from them because they may hurt him. And how Jayson gets the fact that I don't want him among these people (why else would he think I would be mad?). And, FINALLY, how this is where Jesus himself wanted to be. He wanted these people to see the light He came to give to their lives. So, my prayer tonight is that I can quit being an overprotective mom long enough to let Jayson's light grow from being a little candle to becoming the great big spotlight I know God has designed him to be!!!!!

And as I close up this blog, it becomes clear to me......Jayson's grandpa also had the gift of evangelism. I will never forget VT witnessing even on his last day here on this earth. He WAS the big spotlight that Jayson is going to grow into. The shoes are already here waiting for Jayson to fill them!

No comments:

Blog Archive