For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Friday, October 10, 2008

Grandparents

In 2007 my children lost both a Grammy and a Papaw. They were very close to Jay's mom and dad and spent quite a bit of time with them. They only have my dad and stepmom and my great grandmother left. And it seems, they just all live in a different universe as often as the kids get to see them. So, it seems in the grandparent department, they are often at a loss these days when they hear their friends talk about their grandparents. Hunter said to me the other day "it's weird to hear friends discuss their grandparents who are old, and mine weren't that old, but they are dead". And my poor Katie these days thinks every time we leave her, we will die. And then my sensitive soul Jayson just can't understand why God would take his grandparents when he (Jayson) was the one who needed them, NOT God. Well, needless to say, it has been a month of grief awakening in this house.

I am blessed that at the age of 37 I still have my Mamaw with me. We have always been very close. She helped raise me. She made incredible sacrifices for me so that no dream would be unatainable for me. She worked so hard and for so many hours to see that, even on her very small little salary, that I would not be without anything.........especially a college education.

It is sad that in the last 6 years I have watched my Mamaw's health decline to a point that she has become very restricted in what she can do. Her heart is basically functioning at 35% of it's capacity and getting weaker each day. I remember a time when she could play for hours with my children without stopping. Taking walks, playing dolls and playing video games (well, holding the controller and pretending anyway!). With each visit, I notice she is able to do less and less with the children and I see how it bothers her. The kids seem to have taken it in stride and just adjusted their way of "playing" with her, but she and I know how hard it is for her to not be able to do the things she used to do with them.

Well, last week, after an emotional outburst from Jayson, it dawned on me how badly my children are missing having grandparents. Jay's mom and dad went to everything.....dance recitals, gymnastics, football games (LOTS of football games). And during the outburst, I also realized my son is waiting to lose yet, another grandparent. My grandmother. He misses her now, but truly he is afraid that she is going to die before he gets to see her one more time.

So,I called her last week, knowing that she IS extremely ill and I simply said "Mamaw, Jayson is really missing you and is terribly worried about you. Would you mind coming to watch him in his play? I know you are really tired, but he is really missing having grandparents aroundand it would make him so happy. After all, he is the lead in this play. " And don't you know that this little tiny woman, who can hardly breathe these days said "yes". And not only is she watching it one night, but she will be there all three nights! She is coming for 8 days, just to see Jayson perform. BUT she also gets to go to a football game, and watch 7 dances class (yes, 7!).

NOW THAT'S A GREAT GRAN! Forget what is happening to her right now, Jayson needs her and by golly, she is going to come through for him.


My kids are so excited they can't stand it and are now counting the days until she gets here. They are all planning where she is sleeping (they like her to sleep with them, but I have had to put a stop to that since I know she needs lots of rest and who gets that with one of my kids in the bed????), what games they will play, where we will take her. And even though I know how difficult this trip is going to be on her physically, I can't wait either. 8 whole days of my children having a grandparent see them do the things they love! Having my grandma to myself for 8 days while the children are at school! It will be a good time for ALL of us.

Please pray for my grandmother's visit. I know the real cost to her. It is a real concern that flying could cause her blood clots again, that she will be beyond physical exhaustion the whole time and that she probably will put on a happy face even when she doesn't feel good. I DID promise her daily rest time while the kids are in school, after all, she doesn't have to watch ME do everything (that would exhaust even the fittest of all athletes! ).

You know, I can't think of a time in my life that I have asked my Mamaw for something and she didn't give it to me.....I need to make sure this time I let her know how truly grateful I am for the presence of her in mine and my children's lives. After all, we have seen that those we love can be taken from us in a literal heartbeat.

No comments:

Blog Archive