For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Proverbs 31 or Mary?

Recently I have been given reason to pause and take a look at the way I (we) run our family, our home, our lives. I won't go into the reasons, but I did stop and examine these things that I just mentioned.

Our family sat down to lunch today after church and my question to them was: how do I be a Proverbs 31 woman and still be a Mary in my Martha world? For some reason today it just struck me that the two stories kind of conflict. Now, I KNOW God's word is not conflicting and there has to be a balance in there, but I am not sure I know what it is.

Here's the deal, I try very hard to be a Godly wife and mother, but the Proverbs 31 example seems so far out of my league it's almost embarrassing. How can I possibly live up to that????? However, I do feel it is my duty to cook, clean, and do laundry all the while meeting the emotional and physical needs of my family. I also find it important to grow myself in my faith while at the same time balancing my volunteer work at church. And you know, I think I do it pretty well most of the time. BUT (stay with me here, because this is where my line blurs) with a family of 5 it is often so much work, that I do look like a Martha, I am sure to some outsiders.

So, after lunch, we read Proverbs 31 together. Our discussion was good and I think we have just decided that it IS about the balance. But some comments were: (Jay) The proverbs 31 woman is doing all she does with a husband by her side, helping her. So, even the best woman needs a helper!!!! Kudos to you honey! And then: (Hunter) Mom, it's just better to be Mary anytime than Martha, Martha, Martha because Mary just wanted to be with Jesus! Oh, the words of children! Poor little thing...she wasn't following my train of thought now was she? But pat pat on the head and a big smile because she at least contributed to the conversation.

But wait! Hunter's Mary example may actually have given me the best insight: Martha wasn't a bad sister, she just wanted everything to be perfect for Jesus. JESUS! Who wouldn't cook and clean for days if they knew Jesus was coming to visit? And Mary wasn't a lazy sister, she just wanted to bask in the presence of her Lord, after all, the dishes will be there tomorrow but Jesus doesn't show up in your house everyday (well, you know what I mean)! Maybe being a Proverbs 31 in the best possible way would be to know when to stop "serving" and get still and spend time with Jesus. Mary knew about the balance!

So, even thought Hunter didn't seem to be really "getting" our conversation, I think she might have actually taught me something! Isn't that the way it always happens with me? My kids always have to help me learn a lesson.

2 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

My 2 cents: Proverbs 31 is the goal, but so is being the loving Mary rather than getting caught up in the tasks of a Martha, Martha, Martha only to lose sight of why one is called to serve to begin with... I love that you share these conversations with your lovies, and with your readers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Holly! I love getting input from other Godly women. God knows we need christian friends to help us keep the path and hold us accountable.

Blog Archive