For I know the plans I have for you....Jeremiah 29:11
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Just a few of my favorite things

  • Spending time with my family
  • Kisses and Hugs from my kids
  • Snuggling with my hubby
  • Christmas
  • Singing out loud in the car
  • Reading a good book
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Seeing new places
  • PIZZA

Sunday, July 12, 2009

So, I don't often speak of my childhood days. I guess I often think those words "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". But sometimes I talk about it as a "fill in" so to speak to help my friends understand me a bit better.

My parents aren't not the June and Ward Cleaver type by any means. They married young, divorced soon and fought from there on out. I don't have a relationship with either of them at this time in my adulthood and it is not something I am proud of, it just is what it is. I used to try very hard to be a perfect child so that maybe I could convince these people to love me. But alas, that just left me as one burnt out perfectionist still starved for affection and attention.

I had never really understood a parents unconditional love and, admittedly therefore I have struggled in the past to comprehend God's unconditional love. But, then the most amazing thing happened to me.... I moved to Texas and God gave me 3 most amazing women as my friends. But, quickly they became so much more than my friends. They are my mentors, yes, but they are so much more than that, they are my FAMILY. It was as if God was using them to show me unconditional love. So that by experiencing it here on earth, I could grasp the concept of how HE loves me.

Today they took me out for my birthday lunch (yeah, sometimes we are a little late, but we work it in!) and they spoiled me rotten! I can't even describe the feelings in my heart as I listened to the encouraging, uplifting and complimenting words they used when they spoke to me/about me. In all my years of life on this earth, no one has ever loved me like they do OR cared for me in this way. Well, maybe Jay and my children, but that's a different kind of love we can talk about in another blog. =)

I have been blessed to have had them for 6 years now and it amazes me that with the time that passes, I almost forget that I used to not understand unconditional love. I almost forget that I used to be a people pleasing perfectionist striving to MAKE people love me. Isn't that amazing?

I certainly don't know what I did to deserve them, but they would tell me that it's not because I deserve anything, it's simply because God loves me that He blesses me so.

For the blessing of these women I am truly grateful! I love them each UNCONDITIONALLY!

No comments:

Blog Archive